Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Shadows Grow



I can't believe that I actually called this our "pro-environmental" song... as if we might have had an "anti-environmental" song. Still, I think people knew what I meant, and I was young.

"The sun is gone
the shadows grow
our pockets kill the fields,
the rain it bleeds
through open holes
the wound that does not heal,
the wisdom falls from mind to mouth
to hands that will not feed you inside.

The mountains cry
the ground it weeps
we're tangled up in green,
the clouds that fall
from empty skies
silent and unseen,
the hands of time slip through the day
the grass beneath our feet turns to dust.

How much longer can this go on?
What we don't know won't matter...
4, 3, 2, 1..."

At the end of the song, we had a countdown of 4, 3, 2, 1... which was useful when performing it live, of course, but which was also symbolic of where we were heading in the destruction of our planet. Back in 1991 when I wrote this song, I might have figured that we were at a 3. Now, we're at a 2 and pushing towards that 1...

Paul Kimball

No comments: